On Thursday, the Illinois Broadcasters Association announced the WLPO news team had earned 2020 Silver Dome Awards for Best Newscast and Best Hard News Story among small-market radio stations across the state. The team, led by News Director Jeremy Aitken, picked up one award for best newscast for the weekday morning news. Tom Henson earned the Best Hard News Story honor for last year's look at the local sex trade in "Valley of Shadows: Emily's Story." Tom also scored a Broadcast Excellence Award for his light-news feature on last year's wine festival at Matthiessen State Park. "For more than 70 years, WLPO has been the news voice of Starved Rock Country," said John Spencer, owner of Starved Rock Media. "Our newsroom -- which includes John Small and Chris Yucus -- deserves these hard-earned honors. I feel privileged to work with these talented, professional journalists."
- A Stinky Situation at L-P?
- Groups sound off on Trump and police Saturday in Mendota
- Butterfly Landing Medi-Spa to Close
- Police seek three subjects involved in Sunday Peru incident
- Pontiac motorcyclist dies near Seneca Saturday night
- Fire destroys former Depue care facility Saturday
- Somonauk man missing since August 30
- Bureau County on State's Latest Covid-19 Warning List
- Peru firefighter on a west coast fireline
- Illinois, federal proposals would give parents of virtual students more than $20,000