A family of five is staying at a motel after their one-story home was gutted Saturday night by a fire.
Mendota Fire Chief Dennis Rutishauser says three siblings between the ages of 10 months to 12 years old ran to their neighbors while a fourth young child was rescued from the burning home by a neighbor. The children's mom wasn't home at the time. All four children were treated and released for smoke inhalation at OSF St. Paul Medical Center in Mendota. Two dogs in the burning home were also rescued.
The children told firefighters that the dogs were running around and that one of them knocked over a candle. Chief Rutishauser says there is evidence in a bedroom of candles that were burning. The state fire marshal's office was contacted to investigate the blaze. The La Salle County Sheriff's Department is also looking into the circumstances around the fire.
Several fire departments responded to the fire. They were on scene for nearly five hours Saturday night into Sunday morning.