No holiday for first responders, of course. In fact, they’re extremely busy across Starved Rock country this Thanksgiving.
A house fire this morning southwest of Seneca drew mutual aid from multiple agencies. Just before 6 this morning, the Seneca Fire Department arrived on the scene to find a fully-involved house fire. First responders from Wallace, Sheridan, Marseilles, Grand Ridge and Allen Township were on the scene. Seneca Fire Chief Ken Johnson tells WLPO that they were able to put the fire out by 8:30 this morning.
Just as that one was wrapping up, Seneca’s firefighters were recalled, to help knock down a house fire west of Streator. Leonore and Grand Ridge fire departments were on the scene.
And it wasn’t a fire, but the Peru Fire Department was called to investigate a gas odor at the Peru Walmart. Fire Chief Jeff King tells us that yesterday’s strong winds damaged two of the store’s rooftop heating and A/C units and began leaking gas. Once the winds calmed, the gas started seeping into the store. The leak is under control and Walmart remains open.