Fire truck (file photo)

   An eleven year old Ottawa girl woke up to a nightmare at 908 Howard street Sunday morning. A corner of her room was on fire, apparently from an electrical strip. Her screaming woke up an adult male who grab a pot of water to extinguish the flames. It didn't work. He then called the Ottawa Fire Department.

  As they were exiting the room, the man closed the door.  This, Ottawa Fire Captain Brian Dose said,  limited the fire's movement.  Firemen extinguished the flames, but the damage is $20,000. Five people ranging from 8 months to 80 got out safely from the southeast Ottawa home. The Red Cross will assist them. There were no injuries to firemen.

Recommended for you