Rock Star 2020 begins its 4-week winter run Thursday, February 20th at Starved Rock Lodge. Starved Rock Country's longest-running singing competition is once again presented by 99.3 WAJK, 96.5 the Wolf and Euclid Beverage. Each Thursday night February 20th through March 12th, Starved Rock Lodge's main dining room is transformed into a concert hall where some of the area's most talented vocalists will compete for $900 cash. Singers 21 and older can sign up to compete opening night with the hopes of advancing. The top singers, as voted by a panel of judges and audience members, are invited to return, and each week the performances become more nuanced as the vocalists are challenged with special themes designed to encourage each to show their range. Winning the popular audience vote each week comes with a $100 cash prize and the grand prize winner March 14th earns $500 and the title 2020 Rock Star. Only the first 15 people to register are guaranteed a spot opening night. Click here now to sign up. Scroll down for contest eligibility and rules. Email questions to Spencer@StarvedRock.media or call 815-223-3100.
2020 Rock Star Official Contest Rules
- Any legal United States resident age 21 or over is eligible to enter and win.
- All performances must be individuals or duos--no groups.
- Only the first 15 acts to sign up are guaranteed the opportunity to perform. After the first 15 entries are received, additional entries will be placed on a waiting list in the order received, and may be given the opportunity to perform if another act is unable to perform 2/20/20.
- Employees of LaSalle County Broadcasting Corp, Starved Rock Lodge and Euclid Beverage and their immediate family members are not eligible to win.
- Musical accompaniment must be prerecorded and each contestant is responsible for bringing their own music on CD or mp3, as well as a backup.
- 99-3 WAJK /96.5 The Wolf and Starved Rock are not responsible for CD's or portable devices that will not play.
- Lyrics must be memorized. No video monitor will be provided.
- Song selections are up to each contestant, but remember this is a family show.
- No original compositions are allowed outside of the final freestyle round.
- Some weeks of the competition will include a selection that fits a particular theme.
- There is no rule prohibiting more than one contestant from singing the same song; however, you may want to rehearse and bring a backup song just in case.
- Contestants will not be allowed to rehearse or perform on stage ahead of their scheduled performance.
- Competition will be held on four consecutive Thursdays 2/20, 2/27, 3/5 and 3/12/20.
- All contestants must sign-in on their performance night between 6:30 p.m. and 6:45 p.m. and be ready to perform by 7:00 p.m.
- Any contestant unable to perform for any reason will be eliminated from the competition forfeiting any and all rights to prizes.
- Judges will rate each contestant on a scale of 1-10 for vocal quality, intonation, interpretation, stage presentation, appearance, and appropriateness of musical selection in relation to ability.
- One official ballot will be given to each audience member 21 years of age and older after all singers have performed.
- Top vote-getters, combining audience votes and judges scores, advance in the competition.
- The top audience vote-getter each week, or "Fan Favorite", will receive $100 USD.
- The grand prize $500 USD will be awarded to the contestant receiving the highest total of combined judges' scores and audience votes 3/12/20.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
- In the event of a tie, the contestant receiving the least number of "10's" will be eliminated. Should no 10's be awarded, the next highest rating on a contestant's scorecard will be used to determine which contestant advances.
- In no way does this represent a contract between 99.3 WAJK/96.5 The Wolf, Starved Rock Lodge, Euclid Beverage and our contestants, nor does it entitle contestant to any form of remuneration for their performance.
- Contestant’s name, performance and/or likeness may be used promotionally by 99-3 WAJK/96.5 The Wolf , Starved Rock Lodge and Euclid Beverage.
- Winners may be responsible for taxes.
- There's no purchase necessary to enter or win.