Click play above to watch the finals recap.
Five talented performers each sang 3 songs to a full house during the finals of Rock Star 2020. In the end Sherri Scott from Earlville walked away with the $500 grand prize and $100 for finals fan favorite. Ottawa's Savanna Rose Sondgeroth won $250 for second place, and Sarah Clarner from Ottawa got $150 for third. Larry Kohr from LaSalle and Peru's Mickey Jordan completed the final's field.
Mickey Jordan set the tone for a supportive, but competitive evening with a raucous version of Redneck Woman as each finalist sang a song from 2000-2009.
Round two was the freestyle. Supplied with lyrics after the semi-finals, the singers each took their own approach to arranging and performing them. Sherri set hers to "Hit Me with Your Best Shot". Sara used the song "I'm Yours". Savannah picked a rap beat, while Mickey and Larry went a cappella.
The third time up was a song of choice and one final chance to score with the judges and win over the crowd. Sherri earned everyone's "Respect." Savanna nearly stole the show with "Just a Dream." Larry rocked out to "Take Me Down." Sarah "Put a Spell" on everyone and Mickey shared memories of her grandma on "Dancing in the Sky."
In addition to a highly competitive contest, the crowd enjoyed a special masked singer performance from 2018 Rock Star Serena Armstrong. Serena also judged the finalists, all while dressed as Simba from The Lion King.
Along with the cash, Sherri won the chance to record her very own 3 song EP from Audio Out Recording Studio in Peru!
Thank you to our supremely talented singers, their family, friends and music fans, our judges and Don & Tara for the great sound. Starved Rock Country's longest-running singing competition is brought to you Starved Rock Lodge, Euclid Beverage MillerCoors, 99.3 WAJK and 96.5 the Wolf.
Scroll down for contest eligibility and rules. Email questions to Spencer@StarvedRock.media or call 815-223-3100.
2020 Rock Star Official Contest Rules
- Any legal United States resident age 21 or over is eligible to enter and win.
- All performances must be individuals or duos--no groups.
- Only the first 15 acts to sign up are guaranteed the opportunity to perform. After the first 15 entries are received, additional entries will be placed on a waiting list in the order received, and may be given the opportunity to perform if another act is unable to perform 2/20/20.
- Employees of LaSalle County Broadcasting Corp, Starved Rock Lodge and Euclid Beverage and their immediate family members are not eligible to win.
- Musical accompaniment must be prerecorded and each contestant is responsible for bringing their own music on CD or mp3, as well as a backup.
- 99-3 WAJK /96.5 The Wolf and Starved Rock are not responsible for CD's or portable devices that will not play.
- Lyrics must be memorized. No video monitor will be provided.
- Song selections are up to each contestant, but remember this is a family show.
- No original compositions are allowed outside of the final freestyle round.
- Some weeks of the competition will include a selection that fits a particular theme.
- There is no rule prohibiting more than one contestant from singing the same song; however, you may want to rehearse and bring a backup song just in case.
- Contestants will not be allowed to rehearse or perform on stage ahead of their scheduled performance.
- Competition will be held on four consecutive Thursdays 2/20, 2/27, 3/5 and 3/12/20.
- All contestants must sign-in on their performance night between 6:30 p.m. and 6:45 p.m. and be ready to perform by 7:00 p.m.
- Any contestant unable to perform for any reason will be eliminated from the competition forfeiting any and all rights to prizes.
- Judges will rate each contestant on a scale of 1-10 for vocal quality, intonation, interpretation, stage presentation, appearance, and appropriateness of musical selection in relation to ability.
- One official ballot will be given to each audience member 21 years of age and older after all singers have performed.
- Top vote-getters, combining audience votes and judges scores, advance in the competition.
- The top audience vote-getter each week, or "Fan Favorite", will receive $100.00 USD.
- The grand prize $500.00 USD will be awarded to the contestant receiving the highest total of combined judges' scores and audience votes 3/12/20.
- The grand prize winner also receives a 3 song demo recorded and mixed at Audio Out recording studios in Peru IL. Maximum 3 hour recording time. Certain other restrictions apply. Total value of EP $500.00 USD.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
- In the event of a tie, the contestant receiving the least number of "10's" will be eliminated. Should no 10's be awarded, the next highest rating on a contestant's scorecard will be used to determine which contestant advances.
- In no way does this represent a contract between 99.3 WAJK/96.5 The Wolf, Starved Rock Lodge, Euclid Beverage and our contestants, nor does it entitle contestant to any form of remuneration for their performance.
- Contestant’s name, performance and/or likeness may be used promotionally by 99-3 WAJK/96.5 The Wolf , Starved Rock Lodge and Euclid Beverage.
- Winners may be responsible for taxes.
- There's no purchase necessary to enter or win.