Here are some of WLPO's historical highlights 

  • May 1947  - F.F Mc Naughton and Louis F. Leurig, doing business as LaSalle County Broadcasting Company, apply for a license to construct a new AM station .7 miles South of Lasalle
  •  June 1947 -  A construction permit is issued September 2 1947 
  • November 5, 1947 - Permission is given for equipment tests 
  • Nov 6, 1947 - WLPO begins testing a 250 watt transmitter using a 220 foot tower. First test is from 1:50 to 2:20 am. Testing continues until Nov 12 1947 
  • November 13, 1947 - Program testing permission is granted 
  • November 16, 1947 – Sunday, the first full day of programming begins at 7:30 a.m.   Studios are on the 3rd floor of the Medical Arts Building on 2nd Street in LaSalle. Bill Holm is the Station Manager and Larry McCann is the Chief Engineer. 
  • May 1949 - the FCC gives permission for the sale of WLPO to Lasalle County Broadcasting Corporation.  The sale price is $100,750. 
  • July 8, 1949  - The sale of WLPO is completed and LaSalle County Broadcasting Corporation takes control on August 1, 1949.  The officers are Ruth Elizabeth Miller (President), Hal Bivins (Vice President), and Peter Miller (Secretary-Treasurer) 
  • June 19, 1952 - The studios are moved from the Medical Arts building to the transmitter building where they remain today. 
  • September 1955  - Power is increased to 1000 watts daytime with a directional pattern. 
  • 1962  - Joe Vonesh is appointed Station Manager. 
  • September 1967 - North tower extended to 306 feet for an increase in WLPO-FM power. 
  • 1970 - Jerry Peterson is appointed Station Manager. 
  • 1971 - Peter Miller Jr becomes Station Manager. 
  • December 4, 1972 -  Larry McCann retires and Steve Vogler is appointed Chief Engineer. 
  • 1982 - Pre-sunrise authority (PSA) is granted allowing a year-round 6 a.m. sign-on with 215 watts. 
  • November 9, 1983  - Post Sunset Authority (PSSA) is granted allowing nighttime operation with 34.6 watts. 
  • 1986  - Peter Miller III becomes Station Manager. 
  • January 27, 1987  - A construction permit is issued to allow for nighttime operation with 500 watts utilizing a second pattern. 
  • August  21,  1987  - Operation begins using the new nighttime pattern.
  • 2005 - Joyce McCullough becomes Station Manager. 
  • August 2013  -  FM translator W280EG begins broadcast WLPO programming with 250 watts at 200 feet.
  • November 2017 WLPO celebrates 70 years serving the Illinois Valley. 

Recommended for you